If you have mercury fillings in your teeth, you may wonder what – if any – effect these fillings have on your health. For years, we’ve heard the debate on both sides of the table about whether or not we should be concerned about the amount of mercury in our mouths.
Let’s break down the science. Silver fillings are actually a blend – commonly known as amalgam – of mercury, copper, and silver. According to the American Dental Association (ADA), the amount of mercury in these amalgam fillings is very small and, therefore, “not likely” to be absorbed into the body.
In fact, mercury tooth fillings have been used in dentistry for more than 180 years. Dentists use them to build a tooth back to its original form after a cavity has been removed. The filling ultimately preserves the life of the tooth, which goes a long way toward enhancing the quality of our lives since we rely on our teeth to eat as well as to speak.